Zajezda was the main seat of the Patačić family, an old family of the Croatian landed gentry that came to the Croatian Zagorje from Bosnia at the beginning of the sixteenth century...
Zajezda was the main seat of the Patačić family, an old family of the Croatian landed gentry that came to the Croatian Zagorje from Bosnia at the beginning of the sixteenth century. The oldest known Patačić was Nikola, who married Katarina Herkffy in 1536 and took the attribute de Zajezda after her landed property Milen or Zajezda, which the Patačićes retained until the family became extinct. The Patačić family became the real owners of Zajezda in 1555 by royal deed of gift. In 1562 the Emperor Maximilian renewed the deed, and Rudolf II confirmed their noble status in 1608. Nikola Patačić had two sons, Petar and Ivan. Petar's descendants became extinct in the fourth generation, and all the other Patačićes are descendants of Ivan. The family began to acquire wealth during Ivan's grandson Stjepan (15761636), who was Protonotary of the Kingdom of Slavonia and performed the duties of Ban. With his wife Barbara Benković he built the manor in Krkanec.
Probably the best-known of all the Patačićes was Baltazar II (1663-1719), Stjepan's grandson, for many years Royal Councillor in the Court Chancery in Vienna. In 1707 the Emperor Josef I appointed him Governor General in the Virovitica District and granted him the properties of Vrbovec and Rakovec that had earlier belonged to the Zrinskis, and which remained in the Patačić family until the death of their last member. In 1707 Baltazar was created baron. He founded the Pinta Society of Wine Doctors, built the family chapel in the monastery church in Remetinec and kept a diary between 1687 and 1690, later published by Kukuljević and Laszowski. In 1735 his sons Aleksandar, Ludovik and Gabrijel were created counts. Aleksandar (1697-1747) was a jurist and a very distinguished personage at court. He wrote the well-known Status familiae Patachich which he published in Vienna in 1740 when he was created count. Gabrijel (1698-1745) was Bishop of Transylvania and Archbishop of Kaloča. When the estate was divided after their father's death he inherited the properties of Vidovec and Krkanec. Ludovik (1699-1766) was Governor General of Virovitica, and after 1760 Imperial Councillor. He had the chapel and altar of St Joseph built in the church of Zajezda in 1747. He owned Zajezda, Vrbovec, Rakovec, Vinica, S. Ilija, Martijanec, Hrastovljan, Slanje, Preseka and Činkovec.
In the second half of the eighteenth century a prominent member of the Patačić family was Count Adam (1717-1784), Archbishop of Kaloča, Bishop of Veliki Varaždin, Croatian lexicographer, poet and music lover. He left the manuscript Dictionarium latino-illyricum et germanicum. In 1735 he published the extensive dissertation Croata Carolostadiensis. In Croatia he owned Kostel, Lović and Demerje. In 1748 Adam Patačić headed the embassy to the empress Maria Theresia requesting that she appoint Karlo Baćan as Ban of Croatia. In 1751, as ambassador of the Croatian Sabor before the Empress, he resolutely represented the rights of the Kingdom of Croatia.
The last male member of the Patačić family was Count Bartol Patačić, son of Ivan and Eleonora nee Countess Rindschmauel, who died in 1817. At the end of his life he sold Zajezda and some other estates intending to establish an endowment to help serfs in trouble. He died in Martijanec, and is buried in the parish church in Remetinec near Novi Marof, under Greben-grad. Bartol Patačić married his cousin Eleonora from the collateral branch of the family, daughter of Baron Franjo Patačić and Katarina Keglević. Franjo built the most beautiful baroque mansion in Varaždin. He had also intended to build a theatre, but he ran out of money. Eleonora Patačić (1770-1834) realized her husband's idea about an endowment to help serfs. In her 1828 will she left her lands of Vidovec, Guščerovec and Kalnik and two houses in Varaždin to the serfs on the estates of Vidovec, Guščerovec, Kalnik and Martijanec with the order that they should be helped in case of misfortune. Eleonora named Antun de Kukuljević-Sakcinski administrator of the endowment. After his death in 1851 he was succeeded by his son Ivan, and after that the endowment was administered by the district treasurer. The estates mentioned in the will were auctioned in 1860. Count Karlo Erdody bought Vidovec, Metel Ožegović bought Kalnik and Guščerovec, the city bought the baroque mansion on Strossmayer Square in Varaždin, and the baroque manor built by Eleonora's father was bought by the merchant Kirović. An endowment of 70,833 forints was established from the money and the interest went to help former serfs of the counts Patačić of Zajezda.
The Patačić family owned much land in Croatia and Styria. Besides the already-mentioned estates, the Patačićes also owned Beretinec, Orehovica, Marčinkovo, Žemerje, Kaštel, Zleč, Završje, Keleb, Gorica, part of Marija Bistrica, Grana, Maruševec, Budislavec and some others. They built chapels in the churches in Zajezda, Remetinec near Novi Marof, Lepoglava and Belec.