In 1618 Baltazar Vragović restored and enlarged it as may be seen from the inscription and family arms giving the date on the first floor of the western wall of the old castle. The Vragović family had been given a title in 1351 by King Ljudevit I and from 1514 jus gladii that is they had the right to pronounce the death sentence on serfs. In 1716 they were given a baronecy. The last member of the family, Franjo Adam, was lord of Maruševec and Križovljangrad. He had no male heir and in 1716 nominated Krsto črnkovački, then Deputy Ban and captain of the Ban's bodyguard, to be his successor. The following year (1717) Črnkovački was killed fighting against the Turks on the Zrin. Maruševec was subsequently owned by the Pasztory family, the Kanotay family and the Patačić family.
The Patačićes remained im possession until 1817 when the:last male of the line died. In the family record Status familiae Patachich Maruševec is entered as a square, lowland fortress with entrenchments, four circular towers and one square one, enterered across a wooden bridge.
After Patačić the castle changed hands many times until it was bought in 1873 from Baron Simbschen by the Prussian Count Arthur Schlippenbach whose wife, Luisa, was from the Drache de Wartenberg family. Count Schlippenbach had wanted to buy the Varaždin castle of Stari Grad from Erdody, and when this fell through he had to content himself with the much smaller Maruševec. He enlarged it and gave it its present appearance, creating a historicized castle in the romantic spirit of the time. This work, carried out in 1877. The Schlippenbachs did not long enjoy their reconstituted castle. Arthur died in 1881 in Cairo and his widow, two years later, married Count Rudolf Erdody, owner of Novi Marof. In 1883 Maruševec and Čalinec were bought by Oskar de Pongratz. He reconstructed the garden and made some minor alterations to the building. He placed a new entrance door in the south wall above which are the Pongratz arms, and built new steps, still there today. Above the staircases he placed large tapestries showing hunting scenes, the work of Monnaccelli from Rome. This work was completed in 1901 as recorded in a side entrance on the north-west wall.